There’s nothing quite like walking into a toasty warm house after being out and about on a cold winter day. It’s certainly preferable to coming home only to find that you can’t tell much of a difference between the indoors and the outdoors! As a homeowner, you rely on your heating system to keep you safe, comfortable and healthy during the long winter months, and when you realize there may be a problem, calling a heating contractor immediately rises to the top of your to-do list.
Unfortunately, the dead of winter is also the time of year in which heating contractors are sure to be busiest. Before you’re stuck with no heat and a long wait for emergency repairs, watch for any of the following signs that heating repair in Altoona, PA may be something you’ll need sooner rather than later:
- You’re always cold: Do you find that your house never seems to warm up enough? Do you have to adjust your thermostat higher and higher, without it ever seeming to make much of a difference in your comfort level? If you’re always freezing, even when you’re wrapped in blankets and winter clothes and have the heat cranked up, something probably needs to be fixed.
- There’s no hot air at all: Feeling cold air blowing out of your vents when you’re expecting hot air is never encouraging. There may be an issue with your furnace, your pilot light or your thermostat. Regardless, this isn’t a situation you’ll want to live with for longer than necessary.
- The heat kicks on and off all day: If you’re home all day and hear your heat kicking on almost constantly, it may be a sign that your home isn’t heating evenly. This isn’t especially uncommon, particularly in older homes, but it’s annoying and not at all energy efficient.
- Your bills are higher than usual: Not surprisingly, a system that runs constantly or needs to be cranked to the max is also going to send your energy costs soaring through the roof. If you notice a spike in your bill that can’t be explained away by normal cold weather, there may be some issues with your heating system.
- You’ve noticed strange noises: Your heating system should be relatively quiet overall. A little noise when the heat kicks on or shuts off is to be expected, but if you’re hearing banging, vibrating or a constant hum, it’s rarely a good sign. Excessive noise often means the furnace is on its last legs, so if your system is louder than usual, call a contractor right away.
For the past 40 years, Caporuscio Plumbing & Heating Inc. has been the premier source for quality, dependable heating repair in Altoona, PA. We are BBB members as well as locally owned and operated, meaning you can always trust us for first-rate workmanship and customer service. In addition, we’re authorized Lennox heating equipment dealers, so if you’re in the market for a new heating system altogether, we’d be happy to provide sales and installation services. Call us today to learn more or make an appointment!