Use Your HVAC in Altoona, PA a Little Less: Five Ways to Save Air Conditioner Energy During the Warmer Months
Air conditioning has evolved for the better over the years, such as with its ability to provide maximum comfort with the convenience of indoor controls. But it’s important to treat your A/C right to ensure its quality for years of use. With that in mind, if you’re looking for ways to use your HVAC in Altoona, PA a little less this season, take a look at these five ways to save air conditioner energy during the warmer months:
- Install ceiling fans: Fans, whether ceiling or portable, are not meant to replace air conditioners. Instead, install ceiling fans to circulate the air in a room to make it feel cooler when you’re trying to save energy. To reduce your energy consumption during the warmer months, set the thermostat on the A/C a few degrees higher and use it in conjunction with a fan. This combination will keep an area cool without demanding an excessive amount of energy for the A/C.
- Seal air leaks: If you notice your air conditioner is kicking on more than it should for this time of year, check the seals around windows and doors. Allow cracks and gaps to stay, and you can bet that your cold indoor air will get pulled outside—and your monthly energy bills will be higher because you’re constantly lowering the thermostat to replace the lost cold air. To save energy, properly seal windows and exterior doors with quality weather stripping to keep cool air in and warm air out.
- Turn lights off: Turning off lights that no one is using is one of the easiest ways to save energy this summer, in more than one way. The first and most obvious thing is that flipping lights off means you’re not wasting electricity. And do you notice just how warm a room can get with the lights on? You can turn off lighting to reduce indoor heat, and thus you won’t feel the need to crank up the air conditioner.
- Replace air filters: Dirty air filters contribute to high energy costs and needed repair for both residential and commercial HVAC in Altoona, PA. If your air filter is clogged, then the A/C unit can’t do its job of pulling out stale indoor air and cycling in cool, clean air. However, the system simply won’t stop trying to work. It ends up overworking itself, becoming less and less efficient—and the more it struggles, the longer the unit stays on, trying to provide cool air.
- Grow shade plants: Not only are trees an excellent option for shielding your residence from the sun and reducing energy bills during the warmer months, planting new trees is also a wonderful thing for the environment. For long-term energy savings, plant shade trees and large bushes around your home, and focus on planting hearty evergreens on the hottest side of your house.
Energy isn’t free, so why not take steps at home to avoid wasting it? If your HVAC in Altoona, PA can use a scheduled checkup before summer is in full swing, don’t hesitate to contact the team at Caporuscio Plumbing & Heating Inc. today!
Categorised in: Uncategorized