For a comfortable summer, make sure to perform regular maintenance on your HVAC system’s ductwork—especially if you live in an area where summertime moisture comes about from hot and humid temperatures. To avoid issues, here are some telltale signs you need duct cleaning in Altoona, PA this summer:
- Unpleasant odors: Often times a bad odor is due to things like old kitchen garbage or your sewage system acting up. But a persistent musty smell mixed into your indoor air is not a good sign. This could point to settled moisture in your ductwork taking on a life of its own in the form of mildew, mold or other fungal growths. Having bacterial spores living in your cooling system is bad for proper function and unsafe for your health.
- Visible mold and mildew growth: Although you may not be able to see mold or mildew spilling out the air vents, that doesn’t mean it’s not there. Take a peek inside vents every once in a while to check for hidden mold. Should you see the presence of dark or orange-ish dots and splotches, that’s an indication of a possible health risk, which you need to take care of immediately. Also, you are likely to smell mold or mildew that’s growing right in the path of the airflow.
- Flying dust and debris: It’s summer, and that means your kids and pets are tracking in dirt and pollen. This likely prompts you to change the air filters regularly and dust and vacuum every week. So why, after turning on the AC, is there always an excessive amount of new dust covering your floors and furniture? This could mean your ductwork is full of dust that has nowhere to go but back out into your circulating air. A clear sign that you need duct cleaning in Altoona, PA is being able to actually see dust and small bits debris jetting out of air vents.
- Breathing issues: If you or a family member suffers from summer allergies, or has asthma or other respiratory issues, dirty air ducts can make symptoms worse and healthy individuals feel sick. Think about this—dirty ducts house dust, dirt, pollen, pet dander, hair, mold spores and any particles small enough to get sucked up into your vents. If this junk doesn’t get caught in the filter or sucked out, it ends up re-circulating throughout your indoor air.
- Pests in the ductwork: Just as pests like rats, mice, cockroaches and termites can infest your attic, they can also take up residence in your ductwork. If they’re large enough, you might hear them moving around, but with smaller pests, you may not know they’re there until you investigate. Perhaps the most unpleasant thing about pests living in your ductwork is that the odors from urine and feces escape from the ducts when the air conditioner is kicked on. Breathing in waste from pests can trigger allergic reactions, asthma, other respiratory issues and even serious illness.
The best way to avoid these problems is to call a professional for regular duct cleaning in Altoona, PA. For your home or office, the team at Caporuscio Plumbing & Heating Inc. is ready and equipped to get the fresh air flowing again.