Your water heater is reliable. For years, it silently works to keep your family’s hot water supply ready for a load of laundry, dishes or a relaxing shower after a long day at work or a trip to the gym. But a malfunctioning water heater can disrupt your entire life. Not only will you be without hot water, but some boiler problems can even be dangerous. Boiler repair in Altoona, PA can quickly become costly if the problem goes unmonitored for too long.
Luckily, you can still salvage your budget by taking a few simple steps to solving some of the most common boiler problems before calling for professional help. Here are a few of the most common water boiler problems and the necessary steps to keep them from turning into a major catastrophe:
- Inconsistent water temperatures: Nothing is worse than stepping into what you expect to be a warm shower only to find out the water is freezing cold. On the other hand, inconsistent temperature can also be a sign of a problem. It could mean the electric heating element is no longer working properly or the thermostat is defective. Because it’s difficult to determine the exact cause, your best option is to call a professional for boiler repair in Altoona, PA.
- Leaking: Moisture or water puddles around the boiler could mean trouble. While it might not seem like a big deal, a leak can result in both wasted water and excessive fuel consumption. It can also cause an undue burden on your boiler, as it will be forced to continually heat or cool the water to compensate. Tighten up any pipes and knobs around the boiler to see if that stops the leak. If not, enlist the help of a professional to find the source of the problem.
- Won’t switch on: This one might seem obvious, but you’d be surprised how often it is the solution. Take a look at the power supply or pilot light. The issue could have been caused by someone accidentally switching it off. If that’s not the solution, double check that the circuit breaker hasn’t been tripped.
- Smell of gas: Any smell of gas or oil should serve as a serious warning sign. Immediately open a nearby window as soon as you smell something. Then, switch off the control valve and exit the space before calling for an emergency boiler repair. Never attempt to solve this one yourself, as it could be incredibly dangerous.
- Water pressure: Low water pressure can turn a shower into an obnoxious affair. This common problem is often caused by an accumulation of scale in the boiler or in the pipes. Alternatively, a kink in the water line could be responsible. Check each of these components to determine if it’s the cause before calling for additional help.
The best way to avoid these common water boiler problems and avoid expensive boiler repair in Altoona, PA is to have a preventative maintenance inspection completed by the professionals at Caporuscio Plumbing & Heating Inc. at least once a year. Call us today to schedule your appointment!
Categorised in: Boiler Repair