During the cold winter months, you might be reluctant to crank up the heat, as you don’t want to have to pay the extra costs on your utility bill. However, there are plenty of energy saving strategies you can employ while also staying plenty comfortable during the winter months.
Here are a few tips from our team of HVAC professionals:
- Compromise on thermostat setting: Maybe you don’t crank the thermostat up quite as high as you’d like, but still keep it at a reasonably high setting to where you can still be comfortable in your own home. Keeping the thermostat on slightly lower settings is the easiest way to directly lower the heating costs in your home. In fact, you can save about 10 percent of your energy costs per year by lowering your thermostat 10 to 15 degrees for eight hours per day. This means if your whole household is gone at work or school, you can drop the thermostat and enjoy some savings without even having to compromise on comfort.
- Upgrade your thermostat: Thermostat technology has advanced quite a bit in the last decade or so. There are now smart thermostats that allow you to take control from anywhere, even if you’re not home, through an app on your phone. You can customize a heating schedule around your routine, which allows you to save money without having to set the temperature in your home from your thermostat.
- Keep vents clear: Your home will be most effectively heated if the air coming from your vents is not obstructed. This means you should regularly remove dust and debris from the vents, and make sure you do not have any furniture or other types of objects blocking them.
- Dress warmly: Put your collection of sweaters, hoodies and flannel to good use during the winter months. Dressing for the season can help you save quite a bit of money on your heating bills, as it’s a good alternative to cranking up the heat.
- Engage in regular furnace maintenance: You should have your furnace tuned up every year, before the heating season starts. If you are overdue for maintenance, don’t worry about the season—get the checkup done now. A tune-up features some important checks and adjustments that maximize the efficiency of your unit while also potentially catching small problems before they turn into big (and expensive) ones.
- Let the sunshine in: The sun can provide your home with some heat for free, so open up your curtains and blinds on sun-facing windows and let the light in! Be sure to close them after sundown to preserve that extra heat inside your home.
These are just a few examples of strategies you can easily employ around your home to stay warm over the winter months while also being able to save some money on the cost of running your HVAC in Altoona, PA. For more information and tips, we encourage you to contact our HVAC team today.