Cleaning out your air ducts probably isn’t something you think about very often. In fact, there’s a good chance you’ve never cleaned your ducts since moving into your home! This simply isn’t a job most people can or want to do on their own. Even fewer actually know when or why they should clean their ducts. We’re here to educate you on when and why you should clean your air ducts.
Signs of Dirty Ducts
There are more than a few signs that your air ducts are dirty—most of them are readily observable if you’re paying attention. Here are a few signs that you’re due for duct cleaning in Altoona, PA:
- Excessive dust buildup on furniture or floors
- Visible free-floating particles in the air
- Lint or dust buildup on the face of vents
- Higher energy bills to heat your home
Recognizing these signs can help you pinpoint debris buildups causing inefficiencies within your HVAC system. Taking the initiative to clean your ducts could prevent these inefficiencies from snowballing into bigger, costlier problems in the near term.
How to Clean Your Vents
Cleaning your vents is a simple, yet time-consuming process. To be thorough and make the most of your efforts, it requires a step-by-step process that means getting up close and personal with all of the ventilation in your home:
- Start by covering all of the supply registers in your home.
- Then, turn the blower fan of your furnace on.
- Using a soft brush, gently tap all of the ducts in your basement to dislodge any debris.
- Take a vacuum to each of the covered supply registers and gently lift them, sucking up any debris that may be blowing.
- Clean all of the return air registers with a vacuum and brush attachment.
- Shut off your furnace fan.
- Remove all supply registers and thoroughly vacuum the ducts as far as you can safely reach in.
- Remove the front of your furnace and gently clean the blower and return air boot.
- Replace the furnace filter with a fresh one.
Again, this process is simple, yet time consuming. You’re going to want to take it one step at a time, being thorough every step of the way. Doing so will reward you with ducts that are clean and safe, and an HVAC system that works efficiently overall.
Calling a Professional
Duct cleaning in Altoona, PA is an important step of overall HVAC maintenance. If you’re someone who doesn’t want to spend a day cleaning your ducts, it’s understandable—but nonetheless, cleaning them is important. It might be wise to contact Caporuscio Plumbing & Heating Inc. to inspect and clean ducts if you don’t want to do it yourself. We’ll make quick work of this arduous task so you can get on with enjoying the benefits of your freshly-cleaned ductwork—including better air quality and a cleaner overall home.
The best part about working with a professional? We have the equipment and know-how to do a better job in a fraction of the time! Contact us today to experience clean ducts and a better quality of life.