One of the most common questions people have when they are looking to add central air to their homes concerns the best time of year to make the purchase. Many people believe winter is the ideal time, because it’s in the offseason. While it’s definitely true that offseason purchases are typically suggested, you probably want to avoid the winter months if you’re looking for the best deal.
The offseason encompasses more than just the winter—spring and fall are also options. In fact, those two seasons are typically considered the best time of year to buy HVAC systems in Altoona, PA. The weather is beautiful, perfect for outdoor activities. This is also the worst time of year for the HVAC industry, as people are not often running either their air conditioner or their furnace. This is when many air conditioning companies are willing to offer deals to encourage purchases, which means you’ll save money by buying during the spring or fall.
Selecting who you will buy the air conditioner from
Perhaps even more important than figuring out when you’ll buy an air conditioner is determining who you will buy it from. You should consider more than just the price you’ll pay for installation, but also the quality of service you can expect from the HVAC professional.
Some questions you will want to ask yourself (and your chosen HVAC professional) include:
- What size air conditioner will be the best choice for my home’s cooling needs?
- Which brand of air conditioner should I choose? Is there a specific model that works best for my purposes?
- What will the cost of installing the unit be, and what types of payment plans do you offer?
- What types of special features do you provide? Some homeowners, for example, look for zoning systems.
- There are people in my house who have asthma, or deal with a compromised immune system. How will this affect my choice of air conditioner and the installation process?
If you decide to purchase an air conditioner outside the spring or the fall months, there are still ways you can get some additional savings. Here are a few tips.
- Always mention you are taking bids from other contractors as well. This is just a responsible way to go about your search, but even if you aren’t taking other bids, you should respond “yes” if your contractor asks you about it. This will help you get better savings.
- It can’t hurt to ask for deals. The worst that can happen is you’ll get a “no.” The contractor isn’t going to up and walk away from the job because you asked for a discount.
- Take the time to read through the contract, and don’t feel pressured to sign on the dotted line immediately. Any good salesperson will give you a chance to read through the documentation and come to a decision that works best for you.
For more tips on purchasing HVAC systems in Altoona, PA, contact our team of pros today.