As with any large household appliance, regular maintenance is the key to a long-lasting heating and cooling system. But it’s proper maintenance that keeps your HVAC system functioning through all the seasons.
Sticking to a routine can increase the efficiency of your heater and air conditioner, meaning you might save energy and money on utility costs each month. If you are wondering what you can do as a homeowner and what professionals can do to extend the life and boost the efficiency of your HVAC system, read on!
Here’s a look at the do’s and don’ts of maintaining HVAC systems in Altoona, PA:
A Few Things to Do
The month leading into the cold season or hot season is the ideal time to perform HVAC maintenance.
- Schedule a pro checkup: Homeowners can do their own visual checks, but this shouldn’t take the place of professional inspections. It’s always best to call a professional to setup a system tune-up before the season changes. Ideally, you should schedule two checkups a year—one in fall and one in spring.
- Change the filter and check the ductwork: Air filter manufacturers recommend changing the filters in air conditioning units, heat pumps and furnaces every one to four months. Filters clogged with dust and debris cause poor airflow, and majorly clogged filters can cause a total system breakdown. Next, check the ducts for leaks. Fix leaks as soon as possible to avoid water damage and mold growth.
- Clean around the unit: The area near outdoor cooling units should always be free of leaves, grass, pollen and intruding tree and bush limbs. Turn off the system and use a garden hose or blower to clean off dirt and other debris from grills and fan blades.
- Set the thermostat: You can save energy and money by setting your thermostat to 78 degrees Fahrenheit during the summer and 68 degrees during the winter. When you’re asleep or away, lower the temperature 7 to 10 degrees for even more savings.
Here’s What You Don’t Want to Do
Homeowners—never assume and don’t bite off more than you can chew! Poor maintenance and skipped service will do much more harm than good for your HVAC system.
- Don’t DIY everything: Your good intentions could cause more damage. If a task is beyond your skill level, don’t do it. Keep your safety in mind and don’t hesitate to call an expert to fix the problem.
- Don’t dismiss the importance of pro services: The professionals suggest two HVAC system checks each year (in spring and fall). These checkups are important to maintain the health and efficiency if your system and avoiding system issues and failures.
- Don’t assume the condition of the unit: The previous owner may not have taken good care of the system. If an HVAC system inspection is not included in your home inspection, schedule a professional inspection as soon as you move into your new place.
- Don’t dismiss high bills: Energy bills that are unusually high may have something to do with the HVAC system. Consider calling a professional to inspect the system’s components.
Take care of your HVAC system—replacements are not cheap! Call the team at Caporuscio Plumbing & Heating Inc. to learn more about how to properly maintain HVAC systems in Altoona, PA.