A leaking faucet isn’t just an annoying problem that may disrupt your sleep—it’s also a huge waste of money each month. Fixing a leaking faucet could save 10 percent on a homeowner’s monthly water bill, so it’s best to fix that leak sooner rather than later. Before the leak can be fixed, however, its cause must be identified. This post will cover some common causes of leaky faucets in Altoona, PA:
- O ring problems: Your faucet’s O ring is attached to the stem screw and is partially responsible for holding the handle in place. If the faucet is dripping from the handle, the O ring is probably loose or worn out. Replacing it should solve the problem.
- Corroded valve seat: The valve seat is the connection between the faucet and the spout. A buildup of sediment in the water can corrode the valve seat, eventually leading to a leak near the spout. Cleaning the valve seat is the best way to avoid this issue.
- Worn out washer: Over time, the washers that rest against the valve seat can wear down due to friction. Again, issues with the washers will result in a leak near the spout.
- Improper installation: Speaking of washers, if they’re not installed correctly, you could end up with a leak in the near future. To avoid this issue, we always advise hiring a plumber instead of attempting any DIY installations.
- Water pressure problems: If your faucet only drips at certain times of day, you could be dealing with a larger issue: your water pressure. Water pressure is one of the worst causes of leaky faucets in Altoona, PA, as it’s not something homeowners can fix by themselves. You’ll need to call a plumber to address this one.
- Loose parts: Components of the handle may get loose with time. If the parts get too loose, the handle can start to leak. The good news is that tightening or replacing the packing nut should do the trick to stop the leak.
What to do if your faucet is leaking
A leaky faucet is nothing to ignore. Here are your options if you notice a leak:
- Try a DIY repair: Some of the leak causes mentioned above can be fixed with a little know-how and the right tools. There are also plenty of YouTube videos that can guide you through the steps to fix the leak if you need extra help. However, DIY fixes could actually make things worse in the long run, which is why we don’t often recommend them.
- Call the experts: Instead of wasting your time and potentially making the leak worse, hire our professionals at Caporuscio Plumbing & Heating Inc. to do the job. We’ll send someone out as soon as possible to take a look at your leak and fix the problem once and for all.
Whatever the causes of leaky faucets in Altoona, PA may be, our pros can fix it. We offer an array of plumbing services at some of the most competitive rates you’ll find. Get in touch today!
Categorised in: Leaky Faucets