As many homeowners will eventually find out, air conditioners don’t last forever without having some sort of issue. There will inevitably be a day when the unit malfunctions and necessitates professional AC repair. The good news is that units typically present some common AC repair signs in Altoona, PA before they stop working altogether. Keep reading to learn how to spot these signs:
- Strange sounds: All air conditioners make a little bit of noise while they’re running. However, if your unit is making grinding, squealing or scraping sounds, something’s probably amiss with the belt. Be sure to call for repairs as soon as possible, as a slipping belt can cause major damage to other portions of the unit.
- Warm air: There’s no point in having an AC that just pumps out warm air! There are several reasons why an AC would only put out warm air, and an HVAC technician is the only person who can diagnose and solve the issue. Our advice is to shut the unit off and call a repairman before you start running it again. The last thing you want is for the damage to get worse.
- Poor airflow: It’s a good sign if your AC is putting out cool air, but it’s not very helpful if the airflow is weak and can’t cool you down. Poor airflow may be an issue with the compressor, but it also could be related to a problem with your ductwork. Again, an HVAC pro is the only person who will be able to get to the root of the problem.
- Excess moisture: Seeing puddles of water around your AC unit certainly isn’t ideal, but it might not be the end of the world. A blockage in the drain tube could cause this leak, which is something you can fix on your own. However, the problem might stem from a refrigerant leak, which will require a pro to address.
- Bad smells: Odors coming from your vents when your AC is running aren’t something to ignore—they’re another one of our top AC repair signs in Altoona, PA. These nasty smells may result from bacteria growth on the coil, indicating a need for cleaning or possible replacement.
- Higher electric bills: A failing AC unit may also hurt your wallet. If there’s a problem with the thermostat switch or a leak in the ductwork, you’ll notice a sudden spike in your monthly electric bill. Call a technician right away to stop spending a fortune on your energy bills.
- Old age: If you take care of your AC unit and have it professionally serviced each spring, you can expect it to last for 10 to 15 years. After that, however, you’ll probably experience semi-frequent breakdowns or even rising electric costs. If your unit is on the older side, it’s probably a good idea to have it replaced instead of continuing to make repairs.
If your air conditioner is showing any of these common AC repair signs in Altoona, PA, call our team at Caporuscio Plumbing & Heating Inc. We’re trained in solving all sorts of AC issues, and we can even install a new air conditioner if your unit is beyond repair.
Categorised in: Air Conditioning